Coming out of playing an FNG game at Fall-In! and not having anything planned for gaming this week, I threw together a quick 5150 game using 40k figures last night. I found some QRSs online that looked reasonable, and had about 65 Tau infantry of various stripes up against 10 Space Marines. The Marines were all Rep 5. The Tau squad leaders were all Rep 5 and the troopers Rep 4. About halfway through the game, we decided that was too high given the odds I was going for, and dropped everybody on the Tau side by 1. Otherwise, I thought it played well. I thought the table looked pretty good, too. My trees are falling apart, though. I need to figure out what I’m going to do with them…
Archive for the ‘Project: 40k’ Category
A couple of more 40k Deathwatch space marines I painted up as a distraction. I expect a large upsurge in Deathwatch interest soon! Since Deathwatch marines come from other chapters to serve the Inquisition, I selected two of the more esoteric chapters I could find– the sergeant is from the Death Eagles, and the heavy bolter is from the Flame Eagles. The sergeant’s back banner is free-handed. It’s not great, but it’s not that bad. Not being an artist, I’m not too disappointed.
The last piece from the GW 40k Mines, Bombs and Booby Traps set. I didn’t think any of the other pieces needed a base, although it came with one of these large 40mm bases for each piece. This spindly piece would never stand on its own, though. Plus, it’s perfect for an objective marker, which doesn’t hurt to have with well defined sides. The set includes two more of these; when I get around to painting them up, I will include some Imperial Guard detritus from the bits box. That might be a while, though– 15mm France 1940 is in full swing! I painted forty figures for ten infantry bases just yesterday alone.
Here are some female Sci Fi figures that have been sitting around for quite some time waiting for me to base them. I’d like to thank them for their patience. I didn’t really have anything in mind to use them for, I just felt like painting them up. Many might see some action in a Supersystem game or two, or could even form an Inquisitor and retinue for 40k. The Copplestone/Grenadier warrior in the camo pants is painted up to match my Necromunda Orlocks, though, so should we ever get around to running another Necromunda game, my gang will have a bit more gender equity.
I also painted up some of the elements of GW’s Mines, Bombs and Booby Traps. This is a fun little box set with a variety of markers. As objective markers seem to be the hot thing in rules today, and I’m not particularly productive or creative, that’s a useful set to have. I especially like the Space Marine helmet wired to the hand grenades, although you’re really going to have to yank that helmet to actually pull the pin on the grenade, which wasn’t pulled beforehand!
I finished up enough late war Gepanzerte Panzergrenadiers (2 platoons and an HQ, plus a Sig 33 platoon) to field on the table. Now it’s time to work on early war in earnest. However, I was getting really tired of painting the little guys, so I took a break and painted up some Space Marines that had been in a box for a while. The heads, guns and left shoulder pads are a metal accessory kit sold by GW, so it was a bit of a mix and match putting them together. I’m pleased with how they turned out. I free-handed all the shoulder pad decals.
I’ve started on the Battle for Macragge crashed Aquila shuttle. This is actually some very nice terrain. It’s injection molded, so it has really crisp detail and is very firm. I intended to do some decals on the shuttle, but rushed through it and forgot. Still, it looks pretty good. I went for an old crash, rather than the recent crash I gather was intended from the Macragge scenarie.
I’m working on finishing this set, the Moonscape set and the Blastscape set. It’s fairly slow going– after the first piece, I kind of guesstimated it was going to take me a full month to finish all fifteen or so pieces. I’m about 1/3rd of the way through it, though, in just over a week, so I might get done a little early.
Hey, found a nifty way to post pictures directly from Flickr, that’s cool! I’m trying it out with this new picture of my two latest Moonscape pieces I’ve finished. These do look really nice, although I wonder if I shoudn’t have chosen a color other than grey. In they pictures, it almost looks like I just drybrushed the bare plastic. In reality, they look quite good, I can’t wait to get some games in on them.
Speaking of scapes, I see Drunken Samurai has an extensive write up on how he finished his Blastscape pieces. Somebody suggested using insulating foam to back these, and I couldn’t image how you would contain it. Drunken Samurai doesn’t, he just trims it to shape once it dries. That’s an idea, I might do it on the Blastscape pieces with the higher raised areas.
Got some new terrain done. Here are the first two craters I’ve done of the GW Moonscape set. I also have the Blastscape set and the old Battle for MacCraggae terrain to do, so I’m looking at around 6-7 square feet of terrain to do…it may take me a bit.
I cut most of the MDF for the bases tonight. It was hot and took me a couple of hours, and the bases for the largest Blastscape pieces wound up warped, so I need to do them again. Yay!
There has been a ton of negative criticism about the Blastscape pieces. Mine don’t seem that fragile, but they definitely aren’t as crisply detailed as the Moonscape pieces.
Forget those Lemun Ruses– I’ve got the M-85 “Black Cat” for my Imperial Guard!! Single use only, though; this one had a spectacular trial run out in the street. However, I’m pretty sure one of these could take a good portion of any 40k army out there, especially if they’re plastic.