Looking back through the blog, it looks like I started my Pak 40s back in August, around the 10th. It’s taken me over two months to get them and my 88s done– and, technically, I don’t have movers for my Pak 40s. Man, no wonder I never get anything done.
Got my German 88 battery finished. My late war Germans are based using static grass. It’s not a technique I’m crazy about, but I got a big tub of it in trade so what the hell, right? I had them sealed with gloss sealer then Dullcote, just bought a new damn car today, and had 3/4 of a bottle of Four Roses left, so I thought, frell, let’s finish these puppies. I flocked them as usually– an irregular covering of Woodland Scenics Scenic Cement followed up by the static grass and gentle lateral blowing to get them to stand up. But. I had bookmarked a recent page describing making more realistic terrain– thought I’d pull it back and and see what they had to say about it. Lo and behold, they have a page on realistic grass. It’s basically static grass drybrushed tan, light orange or light blue? LOL! The only drybrushed static grass I recall are Keven Dallimore’s Foundry figures– I bought a catalog Askarai for $5 off eBay, just to examine his painting technique in person– and it looked like paint slopped on static grass. But whatever, I’m drunk, let’s do it. A light drybrushing of Delta Ceramcoat’s Country Tan, and a very light (although not quite light enough) drybrushing of DC’s Wedgeworth Blue and what do you know– it does look better. The picture really highlights the flaws, but in the flesh, they do look better. I’ll be keeping this up. With or without the bourbon. (probably with!)
I triumph! Well, soon enough, at least. I have just about finished my 88 battery. I realized after washing it that I forgot to paint the windshield on the Kfz 15. Also, seems like I found something else that I forgot, but which I’ve already forgotten again! And I need to get some large FoW base magnets. But, it’s almost there. Here you can see how I tend to paint figures. The figures themselves are white glued to craft sticks, primed, then rubber cemented to the tops of craft paint bottles for painting.
Now my microwave has gone out!!!
I’m entering Troll in the Corner’s International D&D contest. I feel like my luck has to break soon… My luck is so bad. How bad is it? My luck is so bad I just went to look at a car, and the previous test driver wrecked it! Stay away from me, people!
I’ve had to completely replace the water service line to my house, had my car diagnosed with bad bearings in the crankshaft (read: new car), dropped a tumbler and shattered my wife’s ceramic cooktop, and now just had a screw put a quarter inch hole right through a tire, and spent an hour on the side of the road trying to figure out how to get the spare loose and change the tire! The only upside of all of this is that vehicle needed new tires anyway. My poor wife has spent the last three hours at the tire dealer, waiting around with our irritable two year old who should have napped two hours ago. Ah well. Having had two people in our lives diagnosed with cancer in the last couple of years, we’re able to keep things in perspective! I still want to complain to the Internet, though!!
Edit: Got home and my fridge light was out…
Speaking of being distracted, checking out the time stamps on my blog…it appears to have taken me over two weeks just to assemble, glue to tongue depressors, prime, and glue to paint bottles a single 88 battery– two guns, three vehicles and around twenty dudes. Jeez, I’m slow. Well, not just slow; a married father of three. Even when I find time, I’m often too tired to produce.
Not sure what I did wrong with these pictures, but they are really not doing the subjects justice. This sweet little girl may be my best female face ever. I will definitely have to take another shot at photographing her at some point. I thought her clothes colors turned out really well, and the large gold armor looks good enough. That’s something I could work on, definitely. Not too crazy about the blade, either. It just seems like it needs a little something more. The cape also looks like it was quickly drybrushed instead of having more time spent on it– I wonder why? Overall, though, I’m very pleased with this figure, one of my better ones. Now, it’s back to 15mm WW2, when and if ever I get more painting time…
Just another couple of distractions, I swear! I have my Flames of War 88 battery primed and rigged up to glue. It just takes a few nights for the rubber cement to dry, prime, etc… And, I have had a few primed fantasy figures on the table now for several months. I finally picked one up and starting slopping paint on it. I was pretty concerned about the colors on this guy, but went and picked up a bunch of Reaper Master series paints, including that Weathered Blues triad. I really liked it, it actually looks much better in person than in this photo. I wasn’t really pleased with these photos, but just couldn’t be bothered working too hard on it. It was a long weekend.
Here’s another little distraction I painted up, Reaper’s 02132: Zombie Werewolf. This was a parting gift from Brian, who recently left our gaming group to head for greener pastures. Brian will never truly be gone– there will also be a piece of him here. A mindless, vicious, undead, rotting piece of him, but still.